POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Problem with 'object' errors? : Re: Problem with 'object' errors? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:22:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problem with 'object' errors?
From: Hughes, B
Date: 16 Jun 2003 03:01:22
Message: <3eed6b42@news.povray.org>
"Lutz-Peter Hooge" <lpv### [at] gmxde> wrote in message
> Jessie K. Blair <jbl### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
>
> > When I run this code I get an error from the parser that states "Parse
> > error: No matching } in 'object', object found instead.
>
> There can be exactly one object inside 'object{...}'. Your macro
> generates many objects, so you must use a union instead.

Glad you knew that, I think a lot of people might believe you could group
things into a single object statement for it to act similar to union. It's
something I had to think twice about although I knew that was the obvious
answer, because if I were to write this:

#declare AllObjects=
object {
 object {Object1}
 object {Object2}
 texture {ObjTex)
}

couldn't you imagine the object wrappers might collect them into a group
same as union does? Perhaps not if there weren't 'object' for each
(identifier alone)...  Just one of those things that seems plausible until
the error proves otherwise.

Bob H.